Saturday, April 11, 2015

Book Review #2-Tempest by Julie Cross

My Rating: ****/5

Genre: Science Fiction, Romance, Action



The novel Tempest by Julie Cross is one I never thought I would actually read. But when a book is really cheap on BookOutlet, it is hard to resist.

Tempest is about a guy named Jackson Meyer who is a time traveler, he can only travel back only a few hours maybe a few days into the past. He lives in the year 2009. But one day when a couple of guys with guns break into his apartment and shoot his girlfriend Holly, all of a sudden, he is transferred to 2007. Somehow he traveled back 2 whole years. But now he can't travel back to his own time, he can travel only to years earlier than 2007.  Now him and his partner Adam must try to figure out what is going on, and find out hidden secrets about his past. Plus, while hiding it from Holly of 2007, because a girl can tell when you are lying.

***********
Jackson is an interesting character, he is a player, a bit arrogant, he doesn't like girls for very long, until he meets Holly. Cross plays with the idea of, if you are in a relationship with someone, how much of their past have they told you? Jackson learns more about Holly's love for gymnastics, and even though he is a sophomore in college (attending NYU with Holly) going back and pretending to be 17 again kind of changes him. The way Holly and him message each other it is like he is back in high school, while she is still there, he is not. Plus, how far he is willing to go to be near her, by faking a resume to become a janitor at her job. It is a bit high school. He is willing to give her up, because he loves her that much. Not even just breaking up with her-but never letting himself meet her...

The relationship between Jackson and Adam is just ridiculous, Adam is probably my favorite character in the book. If anyone watches the show Teen Wolf, he is the Stiles of the Time Travel world, no powers, really smart, and can always solve a mystery even with ridiculous ideas at some points. Adam doesn't even seem to freak out much, he just becomes really curious. *********

The one thing that saddens me at some points is Courtney, he is willing to drain himself so much to go see her for four hours, which causes him to faint.  It is really cute how Courtney takes on the information so easily.  Though it is sad how every time he sees her, she asks how she is in the future, he has to lie because he doesn't want to tell her about her death.

Though I am still a little bit untrustworthy of Tempest and the CIA group, even of his father-I think I would trust him, but I feel like Jackson's father is still lying to him about something-how can I not be weary of his actions.

The reason I didn't give it five stars because at some points in the story it got very confusing, when he was given info about some things, when he tried to make sense of things, it really didn't to me. But other than that the plotline was great and I love her writing style.

That's all I have to say, I'm a monkey lover and I will see you guys later! 







No comments:

Post a Comment